Wednesday, August 17, 2011

First comment says it all....

More and more newspapers are going to what is called a "paywall" to try to make a profit online. The idea is that there is a wall set up beyond which you must pay to see what is behind it - sort of like a virtual zoo. Want to get in to see the animals? You must pay. Same with news content. You can get to the site - and maybe see some headlines - but without paying you can't read the real content.

Check out this story for some more about recent moves to paywalls. It is a growing trend.

However, the first comment under the story says it all about the consumer attitude toward online new content: "Meh. I can find my news elsewhere for free. I'm good, thanks."

I'm incredibly disappointed every time I hear that attitude. It's the No. 1 reason for the downfall of good journalism. How can the industry be sustained with that attitude?

No comments: