Friday, September 2, 2011

I don't want to find out....

I read this blog post today on the site 10,000 Words: What happens when a city loses its newspaper?

Truth is, I don't want to ever live in a place where I have to find out the answer to that question. Because I'm concerned about a lot of things that could happen without my knowledge:
- City commission raises water rates without public knowledge.
- The high school kid down the street is a soccer star and I don't even know it.
- My county commissioners approve a policy weakening its stance of acceptance of gay citizens.
- A local official is caught soliciting teenagers for sex online.
- My favorite band is going to play in town and tickets go on sale at 8 a.m.

I could go on and on. My newspaper gives me so much information that it is painful just imagining what it would be like without it.

No comments: