Tuesday, May 22, 2012

TV Debut

This spring marked my debut as a television journalist. To this point in my 20-plus year journalism career, I have been the epitome of the cliche: A face for radio and a voice for print journalism. Luckily for me, print journalism was my strength. However, with all the changes in the field during my 41 years it was inevitable that I would need to engage in other mediums.

When students in my JRNL 251: Understanding Mass Media course asked me to host a show they were producing for the Television and Digital Media Production program, I was eager to help them while taking the opportunity to learn more about TV journalism. I was not available to host the entire three-show series, but I picked up the first and third episodes as host of "Political Action."

In the first show, filmed Feb. 19, 2012, I asked questions of Ferris Professor Dr. Richard Griffin and Ferris State Torch reporter Zach Smith. During the show, we focused on the Michigan Republican primary that pitted Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum in a neck-and-neck race, with New Gingrich and Ron Paul still heavily involved at that point.

In the second show, filmed April 26, 2012, I spoke with Ferris Professor Dr. Donald Roy and Ferris students Elijah Melton and Andrew Finnerty. Melton was representing the Ferris College Democrats and Finnerty appeared as a Ron Paul supporter as we discussed the November 2012 Presidential election.

What did I learn?
1. Don't wear stripes because they appear blurry on TV.
2. Plan on the camera picking up every movement you make - including your twitchy foot (during the Feb. 19 show).
3. Discussion is great, but at TV show does not cover the depth of a topic like a good newspaper article.
4. There is a chilling effect created by TV. The guests and I had good conversation before the show as we prepared, but once the cameras were rolling some of it was tempered. That is understandable, but it does mean we lose some of the really strong dialogue about issues with this medium.
5. I believe I improved as a host. I got all three guests involved, did not get too concerned with the time remaining and kept the discussion going right to the final second. In the first episode, I got too concerned with the timing and we ended early.
6. Good, informed and honest discussion is much more important in any medium than how you look or sound. Me and my hosts were not TV pros. But the best moments came through because of our interest in the topic and willingness to give opinions.

No comments: