Friday, January 25, 2013

Proud adviser!

I just sent four Torch staff members (Mary B., Jax A., Katelyn C. and Jessica S.) over to the mLive hub office in Grand Rapids with mLive Grand Rapids Community News Director Julie Hoogland. I had the privilege of touring the facility with Michigan Collegiate Press Association members, of which I am a proud officer.
The mLive hub is a fantastic glimpse into what newsrooms will look like. It was created when the GR Press moved out of its longtime downtown Grand Rapids facility and shifted from a daily newspaper to three days a week (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday). The web-first publication is something I have mixed feelings about, but the reality is that this is happening in and to the industry I love.
As a result, I am proud to have sent the four Torch staff members with Julie Hoogland. I find great value in putting students in positions to learn from professional journalists - and every chance I get I try to step away as it happens. I find even more value if they feel the freedom of asking and commenting freely - without feeling like I am looking over their shoulders, judging, grading, or anything else.
I look forward to hearing about the tour. I want to hear what they think about this modern journalism facility and about the way reporters are working. I hope they learn and get excited about the changes - it's a heck of a lot better than being cynical.

No comments: