Friday, September 12, 2008

Don't read!

It's that time of year when many people like to bash "the media" for its coverage. Presidential election time brings this cry to a climax. The Republican National Convention crowd gave one of its biggest cheers when the media was criticized.
Bring on the criticism.
I say, we (the media) criticize you and you criticize us right back. That's how it should work. We're both need to answer to our critics. We don't need to cry foul when criticism happens. We need to listen and respond appropriately.
A thriving democracy thrives when citizens are educated and informed. Education is a lifelong pursuit. Information comes from many sources - the media being a primary provider. Consumers of media need to be able to filter for themselves what information is reliable and what is not worth your time.
Tune out if it's not reliable. Don't read if it's clearly biased.
It's your decision what to absorb.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the end of this entry. I would love to just not listen to bias and not watch things on TV that are bias, but the truth is that its not possible to do. I really wanted to take the media side on the campaign issues because I thought there would be a hint of fairness in there somewhere. If I were to only watch or only read the articles and commercials that were not bias then I would never watch a single political news story. It is absolutely ridiculous how the one sided the media is at this time. I hate all politically news related TV shows, newspapers, magazines ect.

Jay Kruger

mesfox said...

Jay,
I suppose i could have been more clear. I agree, all news (and all individuals, including you) has bias.

I would strongly encourage consumers to disregard those sources that are clearly and blatantly biased. Don't support them.

I do believe some news outlets try to be fair. Those deserve consumer support (and encouragement).

Anonymous said...

amen to that, brotha. you can't always choose what you hear, but you have every right to choose what you listen to.

-stacy b