Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Torch

Advising a college student newspaper puts a bit of a target on a person's back to begin with. I'm not going to be one of the few who increase the size of that target by publicly critiquing the paper online.
I advise the Torch, the student paper at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mich. While this is my first year at FSU, it is my third year advising a student newspaper.
Each edition of the paper, I take pen to newsprint to point out all the flaws. That may seem a bit harsh, but it's the reality of the newspaper business. Every edition has flaws - plenty of them. There has never been a "perfect edition" of any newspaper.
So, I critique. Some of my students have called my criticisms harsh. Others have readily accepted them. I believe it's my duty during critiques to point out specific areas where there can be improvement.
So, I finish with my latest favorite quote from the book "The Last Lecture" by the late Randy Pausch: When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you anymore, that means they've given up on you.
Think about it....

6 comments:

Charles Jurries said...

Steve,
How many red pens do you go through in a year? :)

mesfox said...

Well, actually, I've switched to green this year. It shows up nicely and it was the color used by the former Torch adviser - they're used to it.

I figure the number of pens directly correlates with my level of caring - the more the better.

Katie Hansen said...

Being a student in the Public Relations program at Ferris, JRNL121 is a required course. While I was excited to join the class, I end up forcing myself to go. This is by far the hardest writting class I have ever taken. When I feel I have mastered one skill I get my paper back with even more green marks. Even though I am often frusterated with the class, I do not look at the marks as beligerent but instead an indcation that I am possibly getting closer to mastering my journalism skills.

mesfox said...

Katie,
Glad you can keep a somewhat positive spin on a challenging situation. Keep working at it - and asking questions!

Anonymous said...

i love The Last Lecture! Haven't made my way to the book, but did read the news stories and the text of the lecture. Great stuff. Oh, and fyi, Ruzicka's green pen still haunts me! ha

-stacy b

Unknown said...

I read The Last Lecture and that quote stuck with me. Even though its not always nice to get a paper back and see all these marks on it but then again it is. It's almost a sense that your teacher took all that time to read over your paper and take the time to help make you stronger. Although you may not have gotten the best grade on that paper, it can only help you for the future. I think that it helps me be a better student and help me learn what my strengths and weaknesses are.