Friday, October 17, 2008

Passion for your work

Saul Hansell, technology reporter for the NY Times, visited Big Rapids this week as part of the Ferris State University Political Engagement Project. Members of the Torch staff and I were lucky enough to have dinner with Saul. While he had many enlightening things to share, the main thing I took away from him was his passion for what he does for a living.
If we could all carry that sort of passion into our career, the world would be a better place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. If we all pursued the things we loved, and did the things we have the greatest passion for, things would certainly get done more efficiently and quickly. Some people never make it as far as their dreams, and others pursue routes that aren't for them. That's when we have problems: the world is full of people doing things they don't want to be doing. I never thought about this, but it's worse than some might imagine.

mesfox said...

I had a man clean the carpet in my home recently. When he showed up, I was a little worried. He was a little haggard looking, was missing a few teeth and didn't speak particularly well.
Then, he hooked up his equipment and got to work. A couple hours later, he was anxious to show me his work. He wanted to show me where it took extra cleaning, where he did some special treatment and where he got great results. He also encouraged me to call him back in about two months just to do one high-traffic spot. Not the whole house - just one spot that would cost a fraction of the first cleaning (which was a steal, considering he was at the house so long).
I got the impression this man loved cleaning carpet. It was his passion. He cared about the carpet and wanted to share his passion with me.
While I never want to be a carpet cleaner, I'm glad there are those who are passionate about cleaning carpet. And I will call this person back every time I need my carpet cleaned.