Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Blogging is curious

Blogging is a curious thing. So is writing, thinking and communicating. They are intertwined. I encourage my children, and my students, to write as frequently as possible. I believe the benefits of writing are far reaching. 

Unfortunately, with blogging and other forms of public communication comes pitfalls. They are difficult to avoid in any public endeavor. I certainly have my share of stories from my newspaper days..... Now, I seem to have an anonymous blogger stalker.

In newspapers, we required identification to publish letters to the editor, quotes, etc,... It is a standard rule: If you're not willing to put your name on it, then it's not worth printing. Remaining anonymous is weak and allows for far too great an opportunity to spout hate and untruths.

The dilemma becomes this: Does a blogger allow anonymous comments? I decided to allow them when I started blogging a couple years ago. I figured it would encourage comments and debate and discussion, outweighing the possible negative effects.

Now, I find myself wondering if I made the right decision. While I enjoy debate - with those I agree and disagree with - I do not enjoy name-calling, generalizations and pettiness.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is clearly a spineless chump.... Own up to who you are if you're going to spout off like you are. Otherwise, shut up and create your own blog.

mesfox said...

Actually, I don't mind most of the posts from Mr. Anonymous. Some are clearly petty, baseless and useless. My skin is not so thing to let those bother me.

I would love more substance....

your conscience said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mesfox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charles Jurries said...

A blog is not a successful blog unless there is one commenter everybody dislikes. ;)

mesfox said...

Thanks Charles. I guess I'm finally a success.

What do you think about allowing anonymous posting?

mesfox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patriot said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wait do we still have a Bill of rights? I thought Obama canceled those

mesfox said...

OK.

I love local newspapers for local stories like this:
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/05/10_ottawa_county_retailers_cit.html

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mesfox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mesfox said...

What a drag.... it got to be too much "you" and finger-pointing and name calling.